On this day, we celebrate women and all they give to our families, communities and the wider society. It is time to end violence against pregnant women.
We live in a culture that tells women
- Be liberated! No double standard! Sex is for fun, just wait two weeks into a dating relationship.
- Use birth control. Eat organic food to keep your body pure and natural, but then fill your body with potentially harmful chemicals and hormones.
- If you make a mistake and forget the pill or condom, it's okay. There's no baby inside your womb yet. It's just tissue or a cluster of cells at this point. Just get it taken out.
- If you don't abort, your future will be ruined. No more opportunity. You will sit at home eating greasy chips and watching soap operas, bemoaning the failure of your life as you live on welfare.
- There goes your career! There goes your chance of a higher education! No man will want to marry you now. You're just done.
"Wow, we understand," they say. "You're a liberated woman. We will help you."
"I don't feel so liberated right now. I just feel miserable," you answer, and isn't there a baby in there, somehow? What happens in an abortion?"
"Don't worry. The doctor will just 'gently remove the contents of your uterus.' " (from actual Planned Parenthood literature and their website)
"But, it's still human, right? That's kind of like a sacred thing, right?"
"Oh, don't listen to that stuff from people out to take away your right to do what you want with your body," they say.
Most common line heard on the way to the abortion room-
"Will my baby feel pain?"
To which is answered, "There is no baby, just cells."
Still, you wonder, trying to comfort yourself with the thought of cells being removed. Surely, that's all it is. And then, it is over. Time to get out there and be that strong woman, let them hear you roar. You are liberated!
Wouldn't you REALLY rather hear this?
Woman, you are precious to society. You are worth being cherished, nurtured and loved by one man who is committed to you for life. You will have great sex when you want to and when you don't want to have children, you are strong enough to abstain from sex. You're not powerless. You're worth deep, enduring love. Children will enrich your life, not take from it. You're smart and skilled and able to provide for your family. You can work if you want and receive an education and still be a great mom. I love you and I want this for you. You are amazing. You give life.
Why does no one hear this anymore? We are a jaded, sad society, lying to ourselves about our freedoms.
Until we really honor women, there will be no Happy Women's Day.