Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Changes at 1st Way

I'd like to introduce some changes I think you'll (Hopefully!) like. The first is our change to a new web-site- 

Newly designed and optimized for mobile. Try it on your smartphone. It actually looks a lot like an app on the new phones.
1st-way.org

I'm also including here my interview done with our director Terry, which is being published by halves in this month's newsletter and next month, regarding my new president position with 1st Way. Terry's still director of the center itself, but I'm handling a lot of other admin responsibilities. My new position entails a great deal more responsibility and I am honored and really excited about the challenge!

Why did you choose to volunteer here rather than working for another group?

I had just become Catholic and had a dramatic conversion. I wanted to devote my life to God, but I didn't really know what He wanted from me. I was praying a lot, and asking God what way He most wanted me to serve Him. I had no idea what that would look like. So, I said, “God, I will do the next thing I am asked to do.” So, someone asked me if I wanted to volunteer at 1st Way. I didn't think I'd be any good at it. Still, I felt God wanted me to do it, so I did. Volunteer counseling wasn't the best fit for me but social media development and helping with other aspects of First Way work was.

What have you enjoyed most about volunteering for first way and serving on the board?

1st Way has become an integral part of me and who I am. I can say with complete conviction that helping women find ways to give birth rather than abort is the right thing to do and that is critical to our future as a national community. I have a fire inside me now and it burns with the desire to help human life be valued and protected. I love what I do. I'm filled with joy to have found an apostolate that fits well with my principles and abilities.

What is your vision for 1st Way over the next year?

I would like to discover ways to best utilize the vast talents of our board members and find the assistance we need to be more effective in fund-raising and obtaining a mobile pregnancy clinic. A mobile pregnancy unit will bring us to the women who need us, to make free ultrasound as close as her front door or a shopping center. The mobile unit will help us help more women in more ways.

What have you learned over the past year?

When I started volunteering, I knew almost nothing. I actually thought life in the first trimester was just a bunch of tissue or cells! The more I learned about the truth of biological development, abortion procedures, and Planned Parenthood's dishonest tactics, the more I grew to become a warrior for the cause of pro-life. I became an avid researcher and reader and a strong pro-life apologist. I attended the Right to Life Conference in Portland. I've participated in several marches and pro-life protests. Most of all, I know with all my heart I'm doing what God wants me to do. Serving on the board has been fun because of working creatively with people who have good ideas, to develop plans that can take 1st Way's mission further. I have great respect and love for my fellow board members and look forward to working with the 1st Way Organization to expand our vision further to serve more women in need.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment